COURTLANDS B&B IN THE COTSWOLDS NEAR BURFORD
Courtlands bed and breakfast is the home (not a hotel) of Jean and John Fletcher
on the A361 inbetween Chipping Norton and Burford the gateway to the Cotswolds.
We take pride in creating a combination of ease, comfort and well known hospitality. Jean serves a full English breakfast including fresh fruit salad, yoghurts and homemade preserves. Guests are encouraged to have tea/coffee in the garden or garden room at anytime. We have great pleasure in welcoming our guests back year after year and look forward to meeting new arrivals this year. Available
ABOUT COURTLANDS B&B SHIPTON-UNDER-WYCHWOOD
Courtlands B&B is located on the edge of the Cotswolds in the quiet village of Shipton-under-Wychwood in the Evenlode valley only a few miles from Burford. There are two hotels in the village within walking distance and catering for your every need. The local railway stations are Kingham and Charlbury (picking up and dropping off can be organised). The village lies on the Oxfordshire Way for ramblers and the Oxfordshire Cycle Way. The motorways M4, M5, and M40 are within half an hour of Shipton.
Shipton under Wychwood is a village in Oxfordshire/Cotswolds, and is named for its location in the historic forest of Wychwood, Shipton is only one of the Wychwoods the others are Ascott and Milton.
Shipton has a wide village green now, only because it used to be the village allotments. On the edge of Shipton is the railway station and access to the Oxfordshire Way long-distance footpath. Wychwood Wild Garden is a beautiful 12.3 acres woodland and garden, in the centre of Shipton, laid out in the 1860's and is now owned and managed by the local community, open to residents and visitors to the area.
It is a village of medieval origins, established around Shipton Court built in 1603, the estate of the Lacey family, is one of the largest Jacobean houses in the country. The parish church of St. Mary has a tower of circa 1200-1250 and a 15th century vaulted porch. The 15th century Shaven Crown Hotel overlooks the village green and was once a guest house run by the monks of Bruern Abbey, and is claimed to have had a licence since 1384.
About 2 miles south-east is the farmhouse of Langley, a largely mid-19th century building on the site of a royal hunting lodge built for Henry VII. Most of the Tudor monarchs stayed there when hunting in the Wychwood Forest. Shipton takes its name from the Old English meaning 'sheep town'. William the Conqueror was a landowner here and, in 1086 AD, the village was listed as a royal manor in the Doomsday Book. Most of the village dates from the 17th century and its history is rich and varied. The area was inhabited in pre-history too, and the local Rollright Stone Circle dates from the Neolithic period.